Safe Handling Of Chemicals

Did You Know?

Homes are full of dangerous chemicals in the form of things like cleaning supplies and pesticides. Many families feel that keeping these hazardous chemicals in the garage or shed will shield poisoning dangers away; however, accidents still occur and can cause serious harm to you and your family.

To protect your family from outdoor poison dangers, implement these safety tips:

  • Place child-resistant caps on dangerous products stored outside and store them in a locked cabinet.
  • Store hazardous chemicals in their original containers and follow the manufacturer's recommendations for storage and usage.
  • Do not transfer poisonous chemicals into kitchen glasses, soda bottles or other food containers.
  • Consider using non-poisonous insecticides instead of pesticides, which are hazardous to humans, pets and the environment.
  • If you need to mix insect sprays, do so outside and away from pets and other family members.
  • Keep the label on each container so everyone can see what it contains and its safety precautions.
  • Read the label on the product you are using. The label will identify the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) you need to wear when handling the product and the hazards of using that product.
  • Always follow the application rate as directed on the product label.
  • Always wear eye protection, gloves, long-sleeve shirt and long-leg pants when handling chemicals, and take your time when mixing.
  • Triple-rinse empty pesticide containers and do not reuse them; dispose of empty containers properly after rinsing.
  • Immediately wash with clean water and change your clothes if pesticides are sprayed or spilled on you. Wash your work clothes separately from other clothing after mixing and using pesticides to prevent cross-contamination of yourself and your family.
  • Wash your hands before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco or touching your nose or mouth.

Safety First

If someone ingests something that may be poisonous, call your local poison control centre immediately. Even if you are unsure of what the affected person consumed, err on the side of caution by contacting local poison control professionals because many ingested substances do not show immediate symptoms. For quick action, consider posting emergency numbers near your phone so you do not have to search for them during an emergency.

Contact Us

Posted 10:00 AM

Share |


No Comments


Post a Comment
Name
Required
E-Mail
Required (Not Displayed)
Comment
Required


All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Required
CAPTCHA
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
 
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012
  • 2011
  • 2010


View Mobile Version
Download our Mobile App Today
Logo
LinkedIn Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+
Heritage Insurance Ltd., Insurance Services Office, Moose Jaw, SK
Heritage Insurance Ltd
© Copyright. All rights reserved. Powered by Insurance Website Builder.